St. Kitts

St. Kitts

Monday, January 27, 2014

Life Lessons

Through this week I have learned some important life lessons. One of those being that you have love the subjects you learning and enjoy studying or else your life will be miserable. My physiology professor said that very thing today in class. He is very right. Many people think, "oh you're at a Caribbean medical, that doesn't count, you won't get a job." I have had enough of these types of people. Yes, I am in a Caribbean Medical School at one of the top 3 schools, but that does not give you the right to look down upon me. So I didn't get an MCAT score that US schools liked, but for what I lack in that score I had in other parts of my life. I have learned that you get out what you put in down here. Our teachers are great and they want us to succeed.It is up to you to get the work done and succeed. I have had a hard time this week studying. I attribute it to missing home, but in all honestly it is because it is hard to focus on a subject that you had a bad first experience with. I had a lot of time to think, and I came to the conclusion that I am going to take the approach that everything I am studying is new and exciting. I want to succeed just like I did last semester. I want to prove the people back in the states that say I took the easy way out or my education is in some way is not as good as back in the states. 

I have been challenged with epidemiology, it is not the epidemic learning that I did in undergrad. I am learning to analyze articles and critique them. Though it has taken me out of the strict science frame of mind, I am struggling with learning basic concepts in this class. I think it is because its not concrete information that I can just take and know. I have to apply it... So this week my challenge is to start my paper so I have 2 weeks to work on it. 

Besides all the school stuff my week did have some "ups" to it! The first one being my roommate Meg's birthday! It was nice to take a night and celebrate with her. I know I don't really go out on weekends down here, but I am here to do work, however every once and a while it is important to just let loose. Though I didn't really let loose, it was nice to have a good meal with some good friends. Also another thing that was exciting was our central air was fixed! So though we may not have it on constantly it is nice to have at night so we don't die of heat! We also got screens in our sliding doors (though they don't really slide as of yet...) it will be nice when there is a breeze to go through the apartment! I think we have settled into a routine and comfort level of living together already! 

Back home Nicholas and I's engagement pictures were finished by the amazing Nick Finochio! I could not have been happier with them! I even used of my pictures for the We Are Central PA.com's Sweetest Couple contest! (ps. voting starts the 31st I will post a link on my Facebook and twitter pages!) Please vote for Nick and I. I would use the jewelry store gift card towards his wedding band (since we are poor medical students)! I have begun the big wedding planning, or shall I say, my MOM has started! (Thank goodness for her!) We are booking the venue, full service caterer, DJ, and church! We already have an amazing florist picked out (Yes Kerr Kreations of course!) and my dress (thank you Renaissance bridal!) I will release the date soon enough! I am also in the process of picking out the save the date and starting to look at invites. Between My mom, Nick's mom, and the two of us and the help of Jess and maria of course and the rest of the bridal party everything is coming along! The wedding website will be posted as soon as we book everything this week! AH! 

So needless to say I have been leading a very busy life between Medical school and wedding planning. But I can do anything I put my mind to! 

ps. I noticed this past week my blog was posted on the UMHS website, so a big hello to all of my new followers!


Until next time, 

The Future Doctor Emma Deebel    XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment