St. Kitts

St. Kitts

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

A plan for the future

Recently I have been planning for the future, both immediate and not so immediate. I have been starting to prepare for my block 2 exams. Med 2 block 2 is all about diseases it seems. It is nice when one of these diseases overlaps (like it did today in genetics learning about galactosemia which we learned in biochemistry!) We just started  cardio physiology, finally something I actually like, and is easy to understand, now if only immunology could be like that.. Oh well! It is interesting to learn about things that have been a part of my life for a while now. One example is learning about Hunters syndrome, which my little cousin is affected with. Loui, as we all call him, showed signs of developmental delays, and characteristic facies. Thankfully my cousin Trish stuck to her guns as a nurse and figured out what was wrong with her son. This genetically transmitted disease is X linked recessive, which means the boys are more likely affected. Thankfully he is in a current study which is trying to help kids that are afflicted with this disease. I really enjoy learning about something that affects my family, because I am no longer in the dark about what is happening. That brings a comfort to me, while the disease is horrible, I know he is getting the best help and is doing much better than he initially was! That is the beauty of medicine, when we know something, we can find ways to fix or help the situation. There are new advances in medicine everyday. I can only imagine what the future holds. I know my future holds great things. I may be planning for the immediate future, but I also am planning for the far off future. I am planning my wedding, looking into programs to add to my resume, such as a medical ethics program for a year, so that Nicholas and I can couples match. Planning my life, while it may be tough at times to imagine where I will be, I can only imagine 1 thing; I will be a doctor. That statement is something I see people struggle with. I hear and see people struggling with school, or contemplating if this is what they really want to do with their lives. I know I can proudly say I never really imagined myself doing anything but this (except for that small amount of time I wanted to be a food scientist... mom you know what I am talking about!) I think half the battle of medical school is getting over everything that you have heard; "That class is hard," "Most people fail," "that one test determines your future." While most of these statements that people will tell you do come true, it is up to YOU. I know I struggle every once and a while with this, but I have taken small steps to get over this. I know I need to be okay with how I am doing, which is great by most standards, I need to focus on the immediate future, the present, the next couple of weeks and not worry about where I am going to end for residency or what I will get on step 1. 

Okay enough of my sililoquy, on to other aspects of my life! Meg and I have started to work out on a regular basis, and have been trying to eat healthy (most of the time!) I am proud of us for sticking to it. We are all about mind, body , spirit these days. Gotta eat well, sleep well, and feel well to do well! I have to say though, I did not know my abs could hurt they way the have after our 1 ab workout. It brings me back to my high school soccer days. 

I cannot believe block exams are so soon, which means Nicholas is visiting so soon (9 days to be exact, not that I am counting!) I cannot wait to show him my life down here, relax a little bit, and finally have him with me. Even if his visit for 2 weeks, that is 2 weeks most people do not get while being down here. I have to say I am starting to get sick of this island at times, but having someone to live with, some good friends, having a wedding to look forward to has given me motivation to do well and get out of here! 

So you probably will not hear from me again till next week or after block exams, depends on how stressed I am (or bored in class, ssh!) So untill next time, 


The Future Doctor Emma Deebel   XOXO



No comments:

Post a Comment